Demographic Engineering: Geopolitics, State-Sponsored Demographic Change and the Construction of Political Order (Dissertation)
“Mass Resettlement and Political Violence: Evidence from Rwanda.” World Politics, 2018. Link.
- “Demographic Engineering and International Conflict: Evidence from China and the Former USSR” (with Anna Zhang). Forthcoming at International Organization. Link.
Awarded best paper by a graduate student at the 2018 Pacific International Politics Conference.
- “Mass Resettlement and the Production of Ethno-Religious Conflict in Ireland.” In progress.
- “Demographic Engineering and International Conflict: A Global Survey.” In progress.
The Legacies of Colonialism on Political Attitudes
- “Indirect Colonial Rule Undermines Support for Democracy: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Namibia” (with Marie Lechler). Forthcoming at Comparative Political Studies. Link.
Awarded Reinhard Selten Award for best paper by a young author at the 2017 German Economic Association meeting.
- “Indirect Colonial Rule and the Political Salience of Ethnicity.” Revise and Resubmit at World Development. Link.
The Construction of Ethno-Racial Boundaries in the Americas
- “Colonialism, Path Dependency, and Comparative Racial Identification in the Americas.” Revise and Resubmit at the American Journal of Sociology. Link.
- “Becoming Black in Jamaica.” In progress.
- “Becoming Indigenous in Mexico” (with Edgar Vivanco Franco). In progress.
Other Research and Public Academia
- “China: Prospects for Export-Driven Growth” (with B. Coates and D. Horton). Australian Treasury Economic Roundup Issue 4, 2012. Link.
- “The Red Line and ‘Tribalism’ in Contemporary Namibia.” The Namibian, 17 February 2017. Link.
- “China’s prospects for export-driven growth” (with B. Coates and D. Horton). East Asia Forum, 9 March 2013. Link.
- “A Step Towards Outfit Equality.” Oxford Student, 3 August 2012. Link.